Editors CommentsSharon Boyd & Dale Campbell
Considering the miles and points accumulated by approximately 25% of the Club’s membership, imagine what could have been achieved if more of the Colorado Springs Cycling Club’s membership participated in the Challenge by joining the team and logging their cycling miles. And overall, wrapping up its third year, the National Bike Challenge experienced a 36% increase in riders and 25% more miles pedaled over the previous year. Perhaps that's a goal to set for the 2015 CSCC National Bike Challenge team!
Thinking about August, not only was the landscape green, but the City was also delightfully inundated by two wheels during the week of the Pro Challenge. It was great to see so many spectators out for the day during Stage 4. Each of us had our perspective of the race day events (any other activities during the week). Some of your editors’ reflections are captured in an article in this edition of the Bent Fork. Also included in the October publication are numerous other contributions by Club members. Just take a look at the Table of Contents to the right to see the variety of cycling news and interests presented in this edition.
Regarding cycling news and interests, there are a variety of upcoming activities to participate in. Because it’s Fall doesn’t mean the level of cycling immediately decreases. Quite the contrary. Just take a look at these upcoming events:
- Oktoberfest Ride - Palmer Lake to Castle Rock: Saturday 4 October at 10:00 AM - 02:00 PM, Location: Santa Fe Trailhead - 199 County Line Rd, Palmer Lake, CO 80133. Contact Kerry Hefta for additional details.
- Half the Road: The Passion, Pitfalls and Power of Women's Professional Cycling: Monday, 6 October at 6:30pm - 9:00pm. Location: Old Town Bike Shop, 426 S Tejon St. See the article in this edition for additional information.
- CSCC Monthly Meeting: Tuesday, 7 October. Snacks at 6 pm and meeting at 6:30 pm. Location: Garden of the God's Citizen Service Center in the 1st floor conference room by the west door (Rm 1019 - Event Room A).
- Cold Weather Cycling Basics: Wednesday, 8 October 6:30 to 8pm, Location REI, Colorado Springs. See the article in this edition for additional information.
- VeloSwap: Saturday, 18 October 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Location: National Western Complex, Cost: $8 at the door, $6 in advance, Parking: $10 payable to National Western as you enter. More information: http://veloswap.competitor.com/
- Progressive Dinner Ride: Sunday, 26 October Noon. Further details will be published on the Club website
- Weekly Rides throughout the month: Check the Ride Calendar for details.
With so many choices, how can you resist participating in something cycling related?! Get out there and enjoy
! Stay safe!